Tuesday 29 January 2013

Tips and Tricks Tuesday - Choosing Colour

Hello! Today I want to share with you my first ever Tips and Tricks Tuesday! Be patient with me, as this is my first and I am still learning what you all like to read. Please do leave me some feedback, positive or negative, but keep it polite and constructive.

So for the first post I thought it would be a good idea to start at the beginning, before we get to tricks with tools, and new techniques - when creating a project we have to decide on a colour scheme.

Sometimes it can be difficult to know which colours to pair with others, and so here is my tried and tested way of choosing a basic colour scheme:

  1. Take a look at the Stampin' Up! colour families and pick one family that you think suits your intended project.
  2. Pick 2 or 3 colours from the family you have chosen - try to go for one light and one or two stronger, darker colours, or vice versa. Don't be frightened of picking an unexpected colour either - a flash of something to add a bit of pizzaz!
  3. Choose one of your colours to be the 'focal' colour - the colour you will be using the most of on your project.
  4. Match up your focal colour with one colour from the Neutral colour family - there is no right or wrong answer here - simply pick one that you think works well. 
These colours form the backbone of your project - I would then take a look and may add Whisper White or Very Vanilla as a stamping surface if the project called for it, and I hadn't already chosen it as my neutral.


Above is an example of a project using colours from the SUBTLES family. My three colours were Bashful Blue, Pretty in Pink and Certainly Celery. I then chose to use Early Espresso as my neutral colour, and added in Whisper White as my stamping surface and to accent the Early Espresso.

As your confidence grows, try swapping one of the initial colours for an 'In-Colour', or one from another family.

TOP TIP: Don't forget to test your colours out before starting -  I always dab a bit of each colour onto scrap paper first, just to make sure I like the combinations!

I hope this gives you some ideas of how to go about choosing your next project colours,

Happy Crafting
Becky

2 comments:

  1. Great post....another good thing to use of course is the Stampin' Up! Colour Coach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great add on Caroline - I can't believe I forgot to mention that!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, I love to read them!